Thursday, March 18, 2010

Inquiring minds want to know...

I am feeling sick (mild cough and slightly sore throat). Today I donated blood.

As I sit there on the bed watching my blood flow through the tube, I wonder

"will they throw away my blood because I am slightly sick?"

More importantly, could I get some one sick from my blood (I'm talking cold not some bad disease - you sicko!)?"

And finally most importantly, "Can I get sick from someone giving me blood (in case I need a blood transfusion)?"

I am almost certain that question 2&3 are no. But does that mean that 1 is true? Or does the cold virus not hang out in the blood?

Does anyone out there know how they filter the blood?

2 comments:

ShirleyPerly said...

Bummer about feeling sick. I have never donated when sick. I hope your blood won't go to waste.

Anonymous said...

They never throw out blood because of a cold. It's tested for anything that might transmit. If you were visibly too sick, they shouldn't have let you give. Get well soon!